Westlaw (Australia) Guide - Cases document display
Last Published: January 14, 2020
- Case Name or Title with the case information displayed such as court, date, and parallel citations.
- Functional tools and delivery options are displayed on the right-hand side of the screen.
|Search document text for a term located in this document.|
|Copy Link or Copy Citation.|
|Show the KeyCite status for citations within the document.|
|Save content to Folders.|
|Annotate your documents with a document level note.|
|You can email, print or download results by clicking the relevant icon.|
|Create a KeyCite Alert to follow this case.|
- KeyCite Flags alert you when a point of law in a document has been negatively discussed.
The case title that has had the most significant impact on the case will be displayed.
- The Original Image of the Judgment can be downloaded as a PDF.
A list of Reported Judgments is located by selecting the Other Versions drop-down arrow.
- West Key Number Classifications outline key legal concepts or principles.
West Key Number Classifications can be displayed in either a linear or tabular view by selecting the list or grid icons on the right-hand side.
- Case information such as party names and legal representatives are located further down in the Document tab.
- The Negative Treatment tab displays negative direct litigation history and citing references for the case.
- The Negative Direct History displays the events or decisions that have negatively impacted the case you are viewing.
- The Negative Citing References are listed by most negative treatment, indicated by the bars in the Depth column.
- To view where the citing references discuss this case, set the display information to Most, and click on the highlighted hyperlink to read further.
- The History tab displays the direct history of the case and related references.
- These are listed in the left column.
- Direct history is also displayed graphically in the right column. The graphical display can be hidden by selecting hide.
Use the – and + icons to zoom in and out.
- The Citing References tab displays a list of cases, administrative materials, secondary sources, briefs, and other court documents that cite the case.
- Sort the display of options by depth of treatment.
- Filter by content (e.g., cases or secondary sources), a specific treatment, court, title, citation or date.
- To view where the citing references discuss this case, set the display information to Most.
- Click on the highlighted hyperlink to read further.
- The Table of Authorities tab displays a list of cases determined as authoritative by the case.
- Sort the display by depth of treatment to see cases referenced most often.
- The table will display the depth, whether the case was quoted, and the page number(s).
- To view the case, click on the title to read further. Cases to be approached with caution are evidenced by red or yellow flags.