Westlaw Australia - How to find cases on a point of law using the Key Number System
Browse the West Key Number System
- Access the West Key Number System by clicking Key Numbers on the homepage.
Select a key number to browse and locate cases on a relevant topic, e.g., 28 Employment Law.
- A list of sub-topics and their key numbers will be displayed.
Click a key number to view relevant cases on that topic, e.g., Remuneration > When payable.
- Click the case title to view the judgment.
Search the West Key Number System
Use the title search bar to search for classifications relevant to your issue.
- Enter your search term into the Title Search bar and click Search, e.g., discrimination.
- A list of the relevant topics and key numbers will be displayed.
- Select the tick boxes next to the key numbers relevant to your research issue.
- Click View Cases.
- The cases relevant to the selected key numbers will be displayed.
- The number to the right of the key classification shows how many cases are listed.
- To narrow your results, you can filter by key number, jurisdiction, or date.
- Use the plus (+) symbols to expand and select the required jurisdiction.
- Select from the last 6 months, 12 months, 3 years, or enter a specific date or date range.